The French Quarter Series - The Architecture
Only a few buildings remain in the French Colonial style. Most were destroyed by a series of fires.
1788 destroyed 856 buildings, 1794 destroyed 856 buildings.
The Old Ursuline Convent designed in 1745 and build in 1752. This is the oldest building in Mississippi Valley.
Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop, The oldest bar in the United States that has been open since the 1700's. In the New Orleans French Quarter.
The Spanish took over from the French 1763-1800. After the fires of 1788, the Spanish decreed that all buildings of two stories of more were to be constructed of brick giving them a Mediterranean look. Most of the buildings have decorative cast-iron balconies.
There are many beautiful Courtyards in the French Quarter. All have a fountains in the event of a fire.
The Cornstalk Fence -1850. There is two cornstalk fences the other one is in the uptown Garden District.
Tile signs are placed on many buildings identifying the original street name.
It's a very colorful place.